Old 03-04-11, 05:52 AM
xfimpg

Bikes: RichardZEP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I possibly kinda like that idea also but had no idea you had a fork with 100mm travel. I say possibly kinda like that idea because it may cause undesirable handling depending on the type of riding you do. It will give you more travel up front if that's something you're interested in but might make the front end a little less agile and possibly a little floppy.

The most economical change would likely be a stem and/or handlebar replacement.

If you have lo-rise bars with say 20mm rise you could get some bars with 50mm rise and the height change would be nearly the same as a fork swap without changing steering geometry.

AND/OR

If for instance you currently have a 90mm, 5° stem and swap it out for a Ritchey Pro 90mm, 30° stem you'll gain about 30mm in bar height and also bring the bars about 1.25cm closer to you. There are a couple of other 30° rise stems available in 31.8mm clamp diameter, IRD makes one for $36USD compared to the Ritchey at $60. I've seen up to 45° rise in 25.4mm clamp diameter. Here's a chart you can use to calculate change in bar position:
The fitter did install a 25 degree stem and i'm still 3 cms short in height. (Any higher and i think i would need to install a picnick basket in the front)

I agree, the handling might not be as great. I do mostly singletrack up and down the mountain type of riding. I was thinking of stiffening up the front suspension to adjust for the longer travel and therefore it might resemble my current 100mm fork setup.