View Single Post
Old 04-15-11, 10:03 AM
ollyisk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to consider floating rotors for sanity's sake. I'm a bigger guy (I hover around 240ish) and I've had problems with rotors warping on me--I don't know if I was just laying my bike down on the rotors and them bending, or if they were overheating and warping, but I haven't changed my bike handling behavior, and I haven't had any issues since I upgraded to floating rotors. Typically speaking, floating rotors are lighter than regular rotors and more heat resistant (the inner spider is usually aluminum). However, they're also quite a bit more expensive.

I frequently had to adjust my brakes when I had the stock Avid rotors--I was constantly bending the rotor back into shape, or turning the dials on the caliper to get it so the rotor wasn't rubbing. Since I upgraded to Hope's Floating rotors, I've never had any issues with my rotor warping or rubbing on the brake pad, to me they were worth the $45/each (or whatever they're going for), because truing a disc rotor can be an f'ing nightmarish task if you don't know exactly what you're doing.