Old 06-09-11, 11:29 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thalia: I tell friends I rather climb a grade that's 6% plus then do something between 1 - 4 %. Those slight grades are deceiving and demoralizing and half the time I didn't realize I was climbing until I do a turn around and go downhill.

I have been riding many, many years and can't say nothing a slight grade has ever become easy (I see more improvement on the steeper stuff) but I have developed a more comfortable style of riding. A friend once gave me excellent advice - rest while climbing. Sounds wrong but think about it. If your bike has low gears what better time to use them? Instead of constantly attacking hills, I now just drop into a comfortable gear and cruise up them.

I figure rides are variable... some parts of slow and some parts I can ride faster. You have to take the terrain as it is presented to you and use the best and most economical technique. Push and ride the flat stuff hard and "rest" up your climbs. I bet your time and speed will inprove as will your stamina. It has for me.

Also SEEK OUT HILLS - best way to improve climbing skills is to just climb. I now hate flat rides and generally like to do long slow climbs (love mountain biking and climbing up the mountain).

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.