twobadfish
Riding

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro; Motobecane Nemesis Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CarFreeFam4
We have been car-free since my youngest was just shy of a year-old. My kids are now 4 and 9. We manage to get ourselves to Cub Scouts, fencing lessons and plenty of other activities with no difficulty. I live in a milder climate now, but the first two years we survived a couple of harsh winters with several feet of snow. Nothing irritates me more than the rampant assumption that children make car-free living an impossibility. I will always concede that there are folks for whom it won't work, and folks that aren't inclined to it. That is just fine. It is NOT always impractical, however.
You say you go fencing, cub scouts, etc... how do you transport gear with your 4yo and 9yo in tow 10 miles? Assuming that's the best-case or even average scenario.. how?

I'm interested to know how you transported your infant/newborn on a bicycle... My son is barely a year and I'm just now becoming comfortable putting him in a bike trailer.

If I lived in San Francisco or any big city with decent public transportation, it would be a real consideration. My wife and I talked about it quite a bit and decided it just wouldn't be practical or financially responsible. So I'm just curious if your view is from limited experience living in a city that accommodates car-free living.