Old 06-25-12, 01:54 PM
dimachka

Bikes: Giant TCX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enroper
So, long story short is I'm a newbie. I do fine on long flat rides, but last friday night, I tried a new path and tried to power through some hills on my ****ty bike which doesn't like to shift. I knew that night I hurt my knee. The next day, it was a sure thing I hurt it. It chilled out a little bit and so I tried to ride again wednesday night, but all I did was anger it more. So I went to the doc finally today, a week to the day of hurting it. Diagnosed with tendonitis. Prescribed a weeks rest, plus wearing a brace, taking NSAIDS ( naproxen ), and ice.

I also think my fit is off, so that will be addressed as soon as I feel 'healed'.

But I'm wondering if anybody has had an acute case like this, and how you returned to training. I don't want a repeat of wednesday night and keep fighting this thing. Should I wait more than a week? Any advice of how to ease back into riding? I'm scared to death of this being a precursor of bad things to come and possibly ruin a great love affair I've developed with cycling.
I think you need to address the "doesn't like to shift" issue long before any fit issues. If you are dooming yourself to climbing with a very low cadence with this bike, you are going to continuously injure yourself in the climbs. You need to be able to use proper gears for climbing.