FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
What an interesting combination of myths and non-reasons. Maybe we should visit these for the benefit of someone new to the sport who might venture through and read it.

1. Self falgellation is not my thing. ?flagellation?? Myth. I don't think I've ever seen anyone whipping themselves with an olive branch on a brevet. If you happen to be in some kind of cycling shape (like 75-80% randoneurs) it isn't any kind of a sufferfest. The sport wouldn't be growing like it has if hurt like that.

2. I don't need anyone's medals. Non-reason. Nothing wrong with that, you don't have to buy them. I stopped buying them after the first year or two.

3. Don't these people have something better to do with their time/lives?
Non-reason. Some people think that riding their bike isn't a waste of time. Seems odd to be on a long distance cycling forum with that attitude. In fact, many successful randoneurs ride less than 6,000 miles per year. Are there some out there who have no lives and ride 20k miles a year? Sure, but they are by far the minority.

4. I don't like handlebar bags, even Acorns. Myth. Is there a rule that says you have to have a handlebar bag? I think it's safe to say that bikes with handlebar bags are actually a minority at most brevets though I think they are becoming more popular.

5. I don't like driving to events. Non-reason. You can ride your bike to the starts if you like. I have.

6. The women with great butts and skins suits are not randonneurs. Myth (except the skin suit part). Apparently you've never actually done a brevet.

7. Stopping to collect receipts or get my card punched is insulting. Non-reason Really???? You're grasping here.

8. You put a Cat 2 climb at the end of an 80 mile ride, really? Non-reason. I can name a hundred rides that do that that aren't even brevets. Since most brevets start at 120 miles I'm not sure what your point is. I know a 1200km ride that has a Cat 1 climb 850kms into the ride. Most 1200ks have around 5k-6k of climbing for every 100 miles. Challenging but not outrageous by any means.

9. It is effing dangerous. Myth. Show my your statistics that prove this.

10. I ride my ride, not someone else's route. I would have just stuck with this myself. It's not something you want to do or is beyond you or whatever. No need to make stuff up and inflate my already overinflated ego by telling my how beyond difficult and dangerous my hobby is.
Someone needs a hug?

You got girls with great butts on your brevets? Where the heck are you riding?

Actually, my line about receipts and punches is genuinely felt. Apparently it is assumed you will cheat or can't be trusted to recognize your milestone, hence your ride is invalid unless you can prove you played fair. Personally, I find this a disgusting aspect of randonneuring, the sport has no honor.