Old 09-09-05, 09:17 AM
treehugger
Dirt Worshiper

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back from the first late night commute! The funny thing one, my boss was there covering for the person who usually works the shift before me. I could have come in earlier and avoided the late hour riding altogether. Hmm, the headlamp is a really good idea, I hadn't thought about the whole not being able to see the flat or mishap. I was just thinking that while I was changing it I would be standing by the side of the freeway. Which is related to why there are no late night businesses in the middle, although I did notice that the lumber yard had a night security person, protecting all the wood from the anarchists, I suppose. I don't know how helpful that would be although I would probably try it if there was a scary person after me. I carry a cell phone, too. The vests are trippy and probably a good idea.. I got some personal defense spray last night, although it sat uselessly in my bag. Mounting it to the handlbars sounds a lot more helpful. This was the first significant night riding I had done, and I noticed that my front light was all wrong, not helpful to avoiding debris at all. My light is a cateye opticube with the 5 lights (leds?). I was actually hoping it would be brighter, but I was nominally visible anyway with light reflective clothing and blinking red things on my back and around my ankle. I was wearing a pearl izumi bright yellow jacket, but I guess that the only visible parts were the tiny reflective lines. Maybe i would have been better off with a vest. Oh well, it kept the wind and mist off me, at any rate. I ride pretty defensively anyway. Thanks all!