Old 06-25-13, 09:24 PM
cmg1227

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worried about standover height on an already purchased bike

I decided to go out and buy a new bike yesterday, but now I'm freaking out, worried that I could have gotten the wrong size.

I went to a shop near my home that I had heard good things about. I ended up purchasing a 2013 Specialized Vita Sport in the medium size frame. I love the bike!

I'm just a hair under 5'2''. Before purchasing it, I asked the man who was helping me if I should be concerned about standover height. (If I'm wearing sneakers, there is no room between the tube and my crotch.) Despite this, it is not uncomfortable to stand flat on my feet over the frame. He thought the small frame would have had me too "squished," but they didn't have a small in stock, so I never tried it out.

After getting home, flipping through the manual, I read "If your crotch touches the frame, the bike is too big for you. Don't even ride the bike around the block." It said the bike should give you "a minimum standover height clearance of two inches." I have been freaking out ever since, because this is the most I've ever spent on a bike.

The size guide says the small is for women 4'11''-5'3'', and the medium for women 5'3''-5'7''. I've always been petite, so I'm nervous about owning this medium frame.

Should I consider bringing it back for a small? Or am I just being overly-neurotic?