View Single Post
Old 12-16-13, 07:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Originally Posted by blauger
I would be concerned with it overheating and the possibility of it being damaged would be greater than if it was in the pack. ... ...
I carried my 7 inch tablet in a neoprene foam sleeve made out of the stuff that scuba divers use for wet suits. I then put that in a plastic box (with the cables, etc.), the plastic box was intended to prevent something from cracking the screen. I think I paid 69 cents for the box on sale at Walgreens, it was sold as a pencil box in the school supplies area. The box is not strong enough to stand on, but it is robust enough to protect the tablet in a pannier and is quite lightweight.

Have Ortlieb panniers so I did not need a separate waterproof cover, but if I did not pack it in a water proof pannier I would have also had a small drybag to put it in. I carry a small drybag in my handlebar bag in case of rain for my camera.