View Single Post
Old 02-24-14, 11:44 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
No compromises. Weight doesn't matter. Price doesn't matter.

Go.
Easy: Dura-Ace 7403. The old RX100 are as powerful without the nicer Dura-Ace hardware.

If you can find the long-reach RX100's and then fit them onto your wheels, then these are the most powerful.

I haven't tried the new DA9000. I cannot see the advantage of the new Dura-Ace linkage using the conventional single-bolt mount. But I can see how these could be a big improvement in terms of stiffness with the new 2-bolt direct frame mount.

Overall the worst road calipers: Dia Compe single pivots. These are a consistent blight on the bikes being wheeled into our local co-op. These get stipped off, disassembled and thrown deep into the trash so no one will ever use them again. Weak, flexy, cheap construction, awkward cable mounting hardware, and poor pads (even when new). A complete overhaul and the best pads in the world will not revive these. These have substantially inferior stopping power compared to any Shimano dual pivot brakes.

A pal of mine had a serious crash due to the pathetic stopping power of some Dia-Compe Alpha 5000's. These are supposed to be some of their better brakes. I stripped the brakes from the wreck of his bike and tried them myself using new levers, cable/housing and Kool Stop pads. Still pathetic.