View Single Post
Old 06-02-14, 08:37 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3317 Post(s)
Liked 2,153 Times in 1,218 Posts
Tobay Beach from Merrick and points west.

It was a late start at 10, so the path was VERY busy, thus we were attempting to hold the speed down and ride carefully. My nephew, riding in front, had a very close call with an older rider who lost his hat to the wind, then made a hard left turn across the path (of everyone) to recover hat. Nephew just missed and got passed Mr. Lost Hat. I slammed on the brakes and missed Mr. Lost Hat as well, who went tumbling into the weeds. He soft landed so was OK. Anther near miss on the JB to Tobay section when some numbnut on the wide handlebar beach cruiser, riding in tank top and flip flops, AGAIN makes a hard left against passing traffic. Tank top was cruising at maybe 3mph with a group, we were calling "PASSING" religiously at this point. Some words were exchanged between Tank Top and our third rider in the group.

Puzzled at seeing countless "roadies" attempting to get in their morning 1 hr. - 25 miler at tempo, including one rider who's helmet was firmly attached to the front of the stem. I mean why bother ?, it's not that hot out, just leave it in the car. Wanted to look like a euro pro spinning to the start of that days stage I guess.

Bottom line is the extension to East Bast House, as well as the huge crowds heading to Tobay means this is a huge success, money very well spent. And no place to attempt any speed much over 12-13 on Sunday morning, 'Ya Think ?