View Single Post
Old 08-30-14, 10:02 AM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Ah, stopping the stress test, I remember it well (ahem, I think we've seen enough here, sir... later my very young GP, who I think still attends frat parties, looked at the readout and said, "Oh yeah, you're f***ed") . I think you'll enjoy the rehab - it's 90% exercise and 10% lectures on obvious stuff like eating right. You can also ask questions about your drugs, so you can get other points of view.

My angiogram (to which I cycled - thank you angiogenesis) showed 4 arteries @ 100/100/90/70 blocked so I was able to skip the stents and go right to the bypass. After the surgery, I found the cardio rehab beneficial for one reason - you get to exercise under supervision, which makes you feel much safer. For the first few sessions, they monitor you telemetrically with the electrodes on your chest. My goal was to find the level at which I could exercise safely, using a (supplied) HR monitor and typical gym machines like rowers and bikes with power readouts. I went a couple of times a week before work for four months, which is probably more than I needed - after the first month I was basically paying 100 bucks a month to do something I could do on my own.

Take 'er slow - it's been 7 years now (I'm 67) and I'm still seeing performance and strength gains from exercise.