Old 02-13-15, 01:56 PM
zcher82

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
older with better components vs newer with lesser components

Hello bikeforums community

Completely new to bicycling here, but I've been wanting to get a bike for a while. My girlfriend got a hand me down from her sister last summer, so I need to catch up so we can go riding together.

So my question is, would it be better to buy an older model with better components or newer with lesser components. I tried doing a search, but was unsuccessful, so I'm sorry if this is a tired topic.

Specifically, I'm looking at a 2011 bmc slr01 with sram force components vs a 2013/14 bmc slr02 with 105 components. I'm assuming that a lower ranked component group won't necessarily perform worse than an older, higher ranked group, am I correct?

How do you guys who have experience in biking approach this? I like the good things life, but I'm also of the mind that I find it uncomfortable to be completely new at something, like biking, yet own and ride a really nice bike. I feel like I haven't paid my dues. I'm hoping that starting off with a used bike will out those concerns at ease. So, community, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.