View Single Post
Old 04-04-15, 05:01 AM
long john

Bikes: cuevas

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by keidal
I now have the forks, which although not perfect in profile, the blades are at least correctly aligned and that will suffice for me. I have almost stripped the frame and it will be repainted after the surface rust has been removed/treated.
The only item missing from the frame is the bottom bracket lockring and it will be an unusual size [but perhaps not so for the early 20 c].
The size is 47 mm diameter minimum x 4 mm thick and threaded 39 x 1 mm internally - to match the bottom bracket outer face and th left-hand bearing cup. Does anyone have one please ? I've priced a one-off replacement and I've been quoted in excess of £100 !!!
The bearings are in remarkable condition, having been smothered in fresh grease, although the seller has told me that he had the bicyle for more than twenty years. By the condition of one tyre it hasn't been ridden for twice that number of years.
Nobody it appears, has any information on a bicycle manufacturer or even a Boulin in Briare, France which I find very strange - and I've really done my homework !
the attached photos are of the frame as it is at the moment. The oiler on top of the bottom bracket might even suggest a late 1890's item ? It does have the following engraved on it, seen under a magnifying glass - D.P.P. 104942
I will photograph the Perfector saddle, front caliper brake, drop bars and Westwood style wheels with large diameter hubs, if anyone is interested ?
I hope this is of some interest - but I'm still baffled as to who Monsieur Boulin was !
yes more photos please, very interesting bike.