View Single Post
Old 05-06-15, 11:45 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 1,783 Times in 1,077 Posts
Originally Posted by rekon
Many of you say the two groupsets are very similar. What about the BB? I've read that the Athena Power Torque BB doesn't hold up well.
That was the serviceability question I raised earlier. PowerTorque holds up fine, I think, but it is a royal PITA to service, requiring a special puller for the crank arm, and sometimes a fair amount of coercion to remove the driveside and spindle. User Campag4life has some strong opinions on the stupidity of the design, not all of which I think are valid, but he's certainly right that it's a poor alternative to their UltraTorque design.

Anyway, if you don't service it yourself, I suppose it works just fine. I just put new bearings in mine, after some "gritchiness" and creaking developed two years in. Guys at the shop did it for me, without too much trouble, but some, which is kinda stupid for a BB.

I may, at some point, replace with a 2nd hand Chorus UT crank, but I'm not too worried about it.