Old 05-09-15, 06:00 AM
sea coil

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Coda Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akohekohe
I'm looking at getting a machine I can use at home for strength training. I like the machines better than freeweights. Any suggestions on a machine? I could go up to $5,000 but would consider going higher for that "must have" machine.

P.S. I 'm 60, weigh 140 lbs, am 5'10" and ride about 150 miles a week, if that makes any difference for your recommendation.
This is not intended to talk you out of getting a "machine", or to sound like a lecture, just to give you two perspectives. I think many people dismiss freeweights too quickly.

You say that you like machines better than freeweights. Does that mean that you've had at least a few workouts on at least a few different machines? Does that mean that you have tried a few dozen freeweight workouts under the guidance of someone who knows what he's doing?

Machines are expensive. All-in-one multi-exercise machines are expensive and more often than not, junk. There are good "machines" out there, but they usually are specific to one or two exercises, and aimed at commercial gyms. Good machines allow natural movement throughout the exercise, bad machines force you to move the machine's way, which is often unnatural. Google "Smith machine." Basically, a good machine duplicates the natural movement and path of the corresponding freeweight exercise. The more exercises that are crammed onto a "machine", the more compromises you end up with.

Many people are afraid that they will get hurt with freeweights. Machine or freeweight, proper form is crucial to lifting safely. You can get hurt just as easily on a machine, and machines encourage sloppy form and cheating.

You can spend a few grand on a machine. You can get a 300 pound olympic set (bar and plates), some dumbells, a decent bench with integral squat stand, and a lat machine for rows and chinning movements for less than $1,000.

The downside to freeweights is a little less convenience, a steeper (but not real steep) learning curve, and the need for a spotter on certain exercises.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by sea coil; 05-09-15 at 06:03 AM. Reason: forgot something