View Single Post
Old 05-13-15, 05:47 PM
keidal

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Removing nipples from rusty spokes :-
If the nipples are steel, very carefully using a butane gas canister might be the only answer, unless you know someone with one of those fancy "magic wand" machines I described in the "bent forks" Post.

My wheels are so ancient, that they always have brass nipples and that gives you a chance. Firstly, be extremely patient and don't rush; certainly don't use any force.
Firstly, take a knife with a sharp blade and run it around the junction of the spoke and nipple at approx. 45 degrees to try and break the seal of rust. Take one drop of paraffin and let it dribble down the spoke from about 1" above the nipple. If you can get to the other end of the nipple/spoke, do the same there - and leave it for a few minutes. Now for the delicate bit. Use the best quality spoke key you can buy. Put it firmly in place on the nipple [usually 15 swg] - it should be parallel to the spoke. Grip the spoke firmly with a pair of plyers immediately above spoke key and gently "wiggle" the key ANTI-clockwise and then clockwise. Do not try and force it. Repeat the drop of paraffin / "wiggle" process at several minute intervals and eventually, the nipple will move. Keep applying the paraffin and or thin oil and after several applications the nipple will unscrew a bit [more easily if you tighten it a little bit] , until eventually the nipple will unscrew completely.
Believe me, it always will ! Then pull the spoke out of the hole in the rim, wire brush the threads with a small wire brush, preferably a brass wire type and then wipe clean and apply a very small coating of oil - and reassemble. Do not tighten it up quickly or with force; you'll strip the threads because they are reduced in surface area due to the rust.

I've done this many times and I haven't stripped a thread. It might take half an hour or more, but you'll master the procedure eventually.
If you have access to the bottom of the nipple and the slot can be used, forget the key and use a screwdriver - the same procedure - but hold the spoke next to the nipple firmly with pliers.
Be gentle, don't rush it and don't allow the spoke to turn at any time !

"wiggle" in this context means attempt to turn the nipple anti-clockwise, then clockwise, then anti-clockwise, then clockwise etc. until resistance is felt.

Last edited by keidal; 05-14-15 at 01:58 AM.