View Single Post
Old 06-14-15, 02:14 AM
Redhatter

Bikes: Dahon fold-up, '12 Giant Talon 29 ER 0, '16 Giant Toughroad SLR1.

Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
In late 2007 I had a couple of attempts at getting my driver's license.

At the time I needed some form of ID and also needed a way of getting around as I needed to do industrial experience and would likely have to do this in a rural area.

Fronted up to Queensland Transport on two occasions, having studied the road rule book, failed both times missing out by one question. (They require a 100% pass rate.) That in itself wasn't bad, but it was costing me $20 each time, money I just didn't have back then. That, and there's all the paperwork one must bring to prove identity.

I gave the problem some thought and realised primarily, I need the ID card, not the license, the license can wait. So I fronted up with the same paperwork, filled out the forms for a proof-of-age card, paid my money ($5 cheaper if I recall), got my picture taken, then walked out ID card in hand.

That presented a problem: how do I get around? That's when I started getting into cycling, probably one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I still haven't bothered to go back for that license, but I feel I am better off the way I am now than if I had managed to pass and get my learner's permit that day.