View Single Post
Old 09-17-15, 06:49 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
So those racers never take to the roads for training, or ever commute?

My some 50 years of cycling and commuting, touring, and at times, living car free, should qualify me as somewhat experienced... and frankly there are places where no infrastructure is needed, there are areas where lines of paint are enough, and yes, there are places where physically separated infrastructure is highly desirable for all but the bravest/strongest riders (of whom only the smallest % of cyclists qualify).
That's not what I said. Not all bike racers commute, in fact most probably don't, around this area anyway. But frankly I've seen a LOT of racers and "roadie" cyclist do some of the stupidest stuff in traffic.

Originally Posted by mr_bill
In other words - "If you aren't comfortable biking on the roads you should take a class. It will give you confidence."

-mr. bill
The large majority of cyclists who participate in CyclingSavvy courses are novice and beginner cyclists, and many of them afterwards say things like "wow I never knew I could do it that way, and it's so easy!" Are you going to sit there and dispute the fact that such a class imparts confidence in the participants? I can tell you first hand that it absolutely does.