Old 11-19-15, 07:13 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 330 Posts
When I was hunting for my current job, I lived in one state, and I was job hunting in another state about 900 km away.

I couldn't afford to fly down for every interview, nor did they expect me to. Instead, I did telephone and Skype interviews. Most of the interviews I had were Skype. Two, I think, were telephone ... and the job I got was with a telephone interview. They were all panel interviews with a minimum of 3 interviewers, and me.

A few of the interviewers inquired where I might choose to live should I get the job and move down. Rowan had briefed me on the suburbs he preferred, and I knew where the jobs were located, so I mentioned I would be looking for a place in the area where the job was located ... I named a suburb or two.

None of the interviewers asked me how I planned to get to work. I've since discovered that my colleagues make use of a good mix of transportation methods including car, bus, bicycle, and walking. So how I get to work is not an issue.

And when I had been hired, all subsequent arrangements were made via email. I didn't actually see any of my new colleagues face to face until my first day of work.