Old 01-13-16, 10:17 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,487 Posts
I think Doge's son will say anything to get some time out of the hypoxic tent or get out of Dodge.

I have found that equipment selection is one of the biggest depends in cycling. I have stuff that my buddies told me was great and it turned out to be not so great for me. I tried narrower bars on my road bike and did not like them and went back to wider bars to match the width of my shoulders.

I have found leverage makes a lot of difference but it depends on the race. For a standing start, wider bars start faster. I have the 3T Scatto bars for team sprint at the track. They are narrow, aero and theoretically fast. I do not like the way they perform on the start and riding on the top hurts my hands due to the sharp aero edge. Obviously, I do not ride on the top when racing.

So if I am using drop bars for training, I do not use the 3T and use a standard round bar.

It is easy to borrow a set of bars and put them on a track bike to try or change out bars for specific racing and training requirements. Not so easy on a road bike. If possible, I would suggest trying some bars before buying and reworking your road bike.