View Single Post
Old 01-13-16, 11:57 AM
indyfabz

Liked 17,426 Times in 8,138 Posts
Originally Posted by FelixScout
I've already started walking this and thinking my old Schwinn with the wider 27" tires should be able to do the unpaved sections.
The portion through Lehigh Gorge State Park is nice, especially during the foliage season. You can drive to Jim Thorpe, PA and park in the huge lot by the old CNJ train station. From there, you can now ride to the park via a trail. It's about 25 miles to the town of White Haven, where there are places to eat. Better yet, bring a picnic lunch and take it down to the river using one of the short walkways that are signed. For a fee, Blue Mountain Sports will shuttle you up to White Haven and you can ride back to your car. It's ever so slightly up hill to White Haven and down hill the other direction. A couple weekends in October Jim Thorpe has its foliage weekend celebration. The town gets extremely crowded and getting in and out is a pain. I recommend waiting until those weekends have passed. We did this fall and the place was still crowded. I first rode the trail in the early 90s, before it was highly developed. You would hardly see anyone. It's now very popular. Lots of tubers and kayakers in season. Summer can get a bit stinky in the gorge if it's hot and humid and there is no breeze. Fall and spring are the best times. Most of the trail is well maintained with a crushed limestone surface. 32c tires are fine. 28c would probably even work.