Old 01-21-16, 02:15 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3239 Post(s)
Liked 1,798 Times in 1,082 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Yeah, I know Volagi in carbon predated the Venturi, but did the steel Viaje also? I was thinking in terms of steel in tubing that's not traditionally shaped. So many of even the modern steel bikes featured hear and elsewhere are still straight cylinders (though maybe the chainstays and forks have curves in them) - sure there have been steel tubes that are ovalized slightly to make them more aero (some Columbus tubing from the 90's comes to mind), but different shapes in steel are still rather unusual. Much moreso than aluminum and especially carbon.
Ah, gotcha. Good question re: Volagi models; I don't know the answer, there, and had forgotten about how the Liscio came first.

Your point about steel shaping is taken, and a good example of an exception which proves the rule is the Mason Resolution, which has some pretty radically shaped Columbus steel tubing. The stays, but also the down tube, which is a box section:

Some really super-modern stuff going on here, not the least of which are the "multi-ports" which allow easy conversion from cable stop, to full internal, to Di2/wire routing. Disc mounts, taper head tube, OS seat tube... and dig the old school nod with the braze on fender mounts!!

Last edited by chaadster; 01-21-16 at 02:19 PM.