View Single Post
Old 02-11-16, 09:28 AM
TuckertonRR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all!

Also, the initial days/weeks are the worst; after you get through that, things get better. You begin to see you *can* do it, since the car is no longer an *option*, as in - Oh, I'm running late, I'll just drive - that option, no longer being there, forces your mind to say, hey, I've gotta get up sooner, or make sure my backups are ready (spare tube for bike, extra money for bus fare, etc).

I've used a taxi so far 3 times, though I could have been hard - core, at those times, my time was more valuable than my money, so thus opted for the quicker, but pricier option of a taxi service. If you live in a large metro area, there are also car - sharing services, that you have to sign up for/be a member for, but can also work well, depending on your particular needs.

My car - free vacation was interesting, to say the least. I definitely learned a bit more in planning & coordinating transport & stuff to do on vacation. Also, made some mistakes that won't happen again! Without the car, it was one of the more laid - back vacations I've had, without worrying about traffic, or accidents, or whatever else.

Glad I've been able to make car - free living a reality. If I can do it, in a suburb of a large NE city in the USA, than most others should be able to do so as well. Plan things out as best you can, and just go for it.