View Single Post
Old 02-23-16, 09:54 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 611 Posts
Behind Bars (Photo Thread)

No, not what you're thinking

I made these images last year, just before our first snow, and I was thinking about how cool it would be to see the view from behind other cyclist's handlebars. This is very easy to do: You simply straddle your rear wheel, rest your elbows on your saddle to steady the camera, and frame the shot.

This first example is from the saddle of my Scott Sub 10, which I have converted into a sort of modern roadster. Or I suppose you might call it a utility bike - because it is the bike I go to for most of my riding - that basket up front is just perfect for my camera bag, for instance. If I ever decide to commute by bicycle, this will be my mount. Specs are impressive: Shimano Alfine 8 IGH, driven by a gates belt drive, all of which can be brought to a halt by hydraulic disc brakes - all modern conveniences that were not around when I first took up cycling. The rest of my bikes would be considered C&V, or Classic and Vintage...

[IMG][/IMG]

This next image is from the saddle of my 1991 Specialized Rock-Hopper, modified into a Curb-Hopper cargo bike. This I have converted to a Deore XT 1 x 10 drivetrain, with a 34t chainring driving an 11-40t cassette. The baskets are lined with wood slats, just like a classic pickup truck, and the bike is just perfect for the Farmer's Market or grocery runs.

I look forward to seeing the view from other saddles in here. Thanks for looking...

Last edited by DQRider; 02-23-16 at 09:55 AM. Reason: clumsy syntax