dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Originally Posted by carleton
I strongly believe that power analysis is a huge red herring in the cycling world. Everyone who doesn't have one feels that they would benefit from one.
I don't think power analysis is a red herring, but I do think that people perhaps assume that it can solve problems that it can't - it also requires discipline, motivation, ongoing learning, understanding of the principles, and follow-through. As Gang Star said, "I put in work, and watch my status escalate." It's a faster route but it's not a shortcut.

I have a couple of years of heart rate, speed, and distance data, but after only seven weeks of power-based HIIT and I need to say WOW! I'd happily trade in my carbon wheels and aero helmet for the difference this has made in my training regime. The quantifiable aspect is very significant to me. I feel like I can already do a faster pursuit in the middle of Winter than I have for the past two years in the peak of Summer, but I acknowledge that only real world on-the-track testing will provide the necessary calibration data. Also, I'm only in my first year of producing this type of data, so there's plenty I need to learn. I consider my former HR based training data to be virtually useless, since I am already putting out more power at a lower heart rate in the same tests under identical conditions.