View Single Post
Old 04-05-16, 04:22 PM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mantelclock
How did you load your Secteur? The reason I ask is because I have a Sequoia, which I tried touring on once and found it incredibly unstable due to short chainstays and a very light front end. I believe the Secteur is pretty much identical to the discontinued Sequoia. Have you posted a journal?
Simply put everything in the kitty liter buckets. I mounted the kitty liter buckets back at the end of the rack. I'm 6'3" with size 13, err 48-49 shoes so I have to make sure to give myself clearance. I did wrap a piece of velcro around the kitty liter buckets and the rack so I could both keep the kitty liter buckets back, so they wouldn't hit the feet, and also to keep them from bang against the rack at any point. I did have to wrap a bungee cord around the whole kitty liter bucket, only on one of them since the lid didn't want to stay on...didn't find that out until after I was already on the road so had to make the stop about 35 miles into the trip to buy the bungee. I also wrapped another bungee down over the hook bolts and then down over the bottom of the kitty liter bucket/the frame down buy the dropout to help make sure the bucket wouldn't do too much bouncing when going over holes in the road. Granted I did fall into a water filled pothole in WV and the bucket started to come off. Stopped and put it back on and then found I had the only flat front tire of the trip thanks to dropping into the hole. It's not that hard to keep them out of the way. Experiment with where you place the bucket on the rack. Like I said I moved mine all the way back and it gives plenty of clearance. Even after I had to replace the rack I was still able to get the new rack to let me mount the bucket out of the way.

I haven't kept an online journal. I generally post on the the Big Dogs(year round)...they are currently having issues with the web hosting company, but I only do a short write up even when on the trips.