View Single Post
Old 05-29-16, 09:28 AM
ricohman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
May is nearly over. The last few weeks just flew by but I did indeed concentrate hard on my recovery.
The concussion improved rapidly. The only lingering affect seems to be getting tired. At around 2 or 3 in the afternoon I just seem to run out of gas. And get a pressure feeling headache. But if I sit still for 20 minutes or so this will pass.
I have torn the teres minor and I am waiting for further tests but the soonest I can get in is July 28th! But I can put my left hand on my hip now. I could not do this until last week.
There is nothing to be done about the separation. I have a bump to forever remind me. And it is getting better. My pelvis aches all the time but this is also improving with walking. I used to run 3x a week before the accident but I have found I really enjoy walking. I may use walking as a recovery day in the future.
I am in the gym now. Four times last week. Light weights and stretching. I lost about 6 pounds and I weigh about 155 now. I'm about 5' 9" so it is not to bad I guess. I stopped taking the pain med percocet 2 weeks ago. Even though I only took one in the morning and sometimes another after lunch I felt the effects of stopping them. You kind of feel achy like you are getting a cold. But I still ache so it is not all on the percocet. But I would be careful with this drug.
I began by walking about a block to walking 5kms. My hip seems fine. But it feels like there is a pillow pressing against it.
My shoulder is improving to the point I may be riding soon. I want to ride now. Today. I believe I can. I think its been long enough.
Cannondale may be offering me a new CAAD12 as there are no frames available. My LBS has been very helpful.
I do not know if I will ever race again. I just don't feel it yet. I kind of thought I could do some time trials and maybe some cross but the desire is just not there. Maybe it will return. I ride about 10-12000 kms a year, or used to to anyways.
I think if I had another crash like this it would kill me. Or turn me into a quadriplegic.
Turning my recovery into my routine was golden advice. I got up in the morning and made it into my routine. Great advice. As soon as I did this and noticed slight improvements I felt relieved that progress was being made, and my depressed feelings vanished.

Last edited by ricohman; 05-29-16 at 09:43 AM.