Old 09-12-16, 11:56 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 284 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
The elephant in the room is that bikes today are heavier than in the 80s because people are heavier. There isn't really a subtle way to say that. Also, the trend seems to be to pack a lot of gear - everything but the kitchen sink. If I was spec'ing a touring bike for a bike company today, I'd assume that a 250# man is going to ride it with 50# or more of gear. Given those parameters, the LHT and it's competitors are the perfect touring bike.
Interesting comment. Don't own one and no valid reason to comment on the brand but do see many Surly's. That said, borrowed some sort of model that was loaded with racks, lighting, and a weird bar set up. Large stature owner. The Brooks he had on it was heavy sagged, but I thought 'heavily' about this bike and the why's.

In long distance touring, many don't care about the overall weight. Some like the extra comforts and gear-boy junky, got to have the latest camping thing. Its not a race but rather taking ones time, point A to B. If they have to spin more to move it all, so be it.

For my time on that particular bike, it nicely gobbled the rough road and with notably less torsional flex than my '87 Trek 520 Cirrus. I get it.