View Single Post
Old 09-12-16, 01:15 PM
ppg677

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Endurace 7 CF Di2, 1982 Trek 957 (retro), 80s Trek 710 (retro), 1995 Trek 930 MTB (singlespeed), Surly LHT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
Aw, the saddle police! How I've missed you!

First, all photos are subject to some distortion.

Second, I set up Brooks saddle to take into consideration the droop in the leather where you actually sit. When I'm sitting in the hammock, my position is level and below the hard front of the saddle.

What I don't understand are Brooks riders who tilt their saddles so far back that they must be crushing their balls.
Sorry to hijack the thread. Just amazed at seeing a leather saddle tilted down. And maybe I should start a thread titled "can anyone explain the appeal of leather saddles". :-P

<rant>
I don't know why I keep trying leather saddles. I've bought 3 Brooks saddles in the last 5 years. Sold two and the other one is currently unused. Admittedly the B17 was the best of the bunch but doesn't work well on a non-touring bike where there is a saddle-to-seat drop. The B17S was an unmitigated disaster for my wife. The Brooks Team Pro was still terrible after 500+ miles.

For some reason I decided to try again-- last week I got a Selle Anatomica. Went for a 45-mile ride on Sunday with several adjustments along the way. On the plus side, significantly (I mean significantly) better than a Brooks Team Pro. The Selle has a hammock from day 1 and has reasonable seat rails (unless Brooks which requires a seatpost with a huge amount of setback...for me anyways).

On the downside, I once again face the same problem I have with all leather saddles-- constant fidgeting with saddle tilt to find the right tradeoff between not falling into the bars and not having the nose tilt so high that it hurts the soft parts. At some point I thought I had it set right. But then I went into the drops on a decent and hit a bump which caused me to yell out "OOOOUUUOOO" from the nose of the saddle hurting something down there.

So this is why I comment on your saddle tilt. Selle has a pretty thorough fitting guide (good on them) and they claim that the nose should absolutely be 1/4" to 1/8" higher. They recommend keep tilting the nose up until you can ride with your hands at your side without falling forward. For me this point was quite a bit of nose-up which led me to the periods of inexplicable pain when going over a big bump while in the drops.

I'm done with leather saddles. For real this time. Not at all a hammock guy.
</rant>

Last edited by ppg677; 09-12-16 at 02:11 PM.