Old 09-22-16, 04:58 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6269 Post(s)
Liked 4,294 Times in 2,406 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerbobbbb
This is a long term project. Probably a year or so to complete. Not quite a rush since the current rear wheel is working.

I've got a 32 spoke rear wheel. I want 36 spokes for more strength. I've already got the 36 spoke rim picked out I think. That leaves getting the hub, figuring out spoke measurements (I'm thinking double butted), a cassette (but I can copy the current cassette I've got hopefully)....

Should just be speccing out parts and assembling it.

The current rear wheel, 32 spoke, has worn spokes. They keep breaking every few months. I did get all new double butted spokes, but I'm thinking I can make the new 36 spoke wheel, have that ready and working, swap it in, and then redo the 32 spoke wheel with double butted spokes. That way I've always got a working bike (very important). I'm never taking my only working wheel, disassembling it, and hoping I can redo all the spokes, true it, etc. all well enough to be able to ride it right away again. So why not get the better wheel created and working, and then redo the old one as a spare, right?
You don't necessarily need more spokes. You need stronger spokes. Most people reach for double butted spokes but those of us how are heavier and/or carry heavier loads should reach for a triple butted spoke (it wouldn't hurt the lighter guys to use triple butted spokes but that more of an uphill battle). This article from Wheel Fanyatak gives the reasons why. The one thing I don't agree with in the post is that using triple butted is the "equivalent to adding 10 spokes to the wheel". Four or even up to 8 spokes but not 10.

My rule of thumb is that it at least steps you up to the next spoke count. A 32 hole wheel built with triple butted spokes will be at least as strong as a 36 hole wheel built with double butted spokes. 36 hole wheels will be at least as strong as 40 hole wheels, etc.

These spokes are harder to find, however. And they tend have a premium price. Wheelsmith DH13 use a 2.3mm head with a 2.0mm body. Sapim Strongs are similar and Sapim Force, DT Alpine III and Pillar PSR use 2.2 to 2.3 mm heads with 1.8/2.0 bodies.

I've used DT Alpine IIIs for many, many wheels and they live up to the hype. I've also built a lot of wheels with the Pillars. Until recently the Pillars were cheaper from Bdop Cycling but Rose Bikes out of Germany is selling DT Alpine for the unheard of price of 0.45 euro per spoke. That's less then the wholesale price of the spokes in the US and almost too cheap to build with anything else. I suppose you could find some no name zinc plated spokes for less...but not by much.

If you are having spoke breakage issues, this is the best solution around. Although I don't need the strength on the front, I still build with triple butted spokes because the spoke fits in the hub tighter as explained in the Wheel Fanyatk article.

You might also want to consider Wheel Fanyatk splined spokes as well. They make tensioning much easier and they come in cool colors.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!