Thread: Commute Curious
View Single Post
Old 09-27-16, 11:11 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7394 Post(s)
Liked 2,556 Times in 1,487 Posts
You're lucky you have that trail. I'm a very experienced road cyclist, and I used to think trails are useless to me, because I have good nerves in traffic. Well, I've changed my outlook a lot. I commute on the Hudson River Greenway which claims to be the most heavily used bike commuter route in the US. Parts of it are separated where there are a pedestrian portion and a bike portion, running in parallel. Parts of it are combined. There are very few intersections with motor traffic, so I ride the whole way without putting my foot down. My commute is 14 miles each way, and I ride it two days a week. The other three days, I take the subway.

We offer lots of advice on handling sweat and riding in the winter. There is even a Winter Cycling section here on bikeforums.

My approach to sweat: I basically don't care. In the summer, I wore cycling clothes which make being sweat-drenched less uncomfortable. In fact, it feels totally fine until I stop. Then when I stop, I find it uncomfortable. I change in a wiring closet. I wash my face and head and neck in the men's room sink. It makes me feel much better, and it might help to cool me down.

You can definitely make it in the winter, though you will probably not ride on the worst days this winter. As @cyccommute points out, there is a lot to work out, and it takes time. You can toughen up to inclement weather, but it takes time, because you need to know what equipment works, and you need to increase your tolerance for discomfort. By tolerance, I mean it stops feeling unpleasant.

I won't go into my entire winter clothing approach, but I'll tell you one thing that helped a lot last winter was wearing a ski helmet on the coldest days. Bike helmets are designed for maximum cooling, and this is not an asset in the winter. The ski helmet helped more than I expected it to. It made me realize that my face got so cold that it hurt badly.

Try riding now, and see how far you get. Once it hits 30º or 20º, you may decide it's too much for you, and that's OK. Resume when the temperature is higher. Next year, you can increase your tolerance.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.