Old 09-27-16, 08:37 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pugs
I'm seriously considering commuting via bicycle. I have to drive about an hour every day, and I recently noticed that there is a 15 mile bike trail that runs right from my house to my work. I always knew the trail was there, but I never thought it would be bikeable. I think I could definitely do 30 miles a day, at least two or three days a week.
Have fun! Test ride the route first on your day off, so you know roughly how long it takes and what to expect of it.

There are two things giving me pause. The first is sweat! I sweat a lot, even when I'm not doing anything. And I know after biking for 15 miles, I'll be a sweaty mess. How do you deal with the sweat when you bike? Do you just take a towel and a change of clothes? Do you take a shower when you get to work? Do you just not care?
If you have showers at work (or even at a nearby gym where you might be able to get a discounted "shower" membership), problem is solved. "Bird baths" using restroom sinks work in a pinch as well. Having panniers rather than a backpack helps; your back doesn't sweat as much.

On the other hand, my second concern is cold. I live in the Chicago area, and the snow will start to fall soon. I know there are people that still commute via bike during the winter, but I don't think I'm quite ready for that. Do you commute during the winter? Do you only bike to work half the year?
I live in Toronto, so no stranger to winter. I used to only ride for half the year, and then one year I decided to just keep going and see when I'm forced to stop, and before I knew it, it was suddenly May and I actually didn't have to stop! I've been riding year-round ever since. It's not that bad: the roads around here are cleared pretty well, and my biggest issue is overheating! I'm constantly shedding layers!

In your case, you'll be riding on a trail, though, so find out whether the city clears it in the winter or not. If it doesn't get plowed, you only have till the first snowfall to ride, basically. If it does get cleared, just see how you feel about winter riding. It's not that different from skiing, actually, and can be quite enjoyable.