View Single Post
Old 10-17-16, 08:22 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by raftr
I have an early-2000's Brompton with a 3-speed Sachs hub. The hub works ok for the most part, even though not as smoothly as modern hubs do, but I'm putting most of the blame on the antiquated Torpedo shifter.

I will be building new wheels soon, and I thought this might be a good chance to replace the hub, ideally with something with a wider range. I read a bit about the available hub options, from the factory 6-speed combo to Rohloff, Alfine, and Nexus applications. I think I would be fine with the 256% range of the Sturmey Archer S-RF5(W).

I keep reading though, those new 5-speed hubs are fiddly to set up and require occasional re-alignment. I was wondering if there were any users of those hubs here who could confirm they actually came across those issues with theirs, or was it just a third-hand opinion people repeat.

Thanks for any advice.
No firsthand experience, but the folks on the Pashley Guv'nor forum say the same thing about the Speed 5 version of that bike: The 5-speed hub is finicky about staying in adjustment, and shifts poorly when not.