Old 11-23-16, 05:34 PM
Paul Braithwait

Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.

Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Xootr Swift has been featured (by me) on the Swift forum page many times. I find it to be the best folder for my needs. Over the ten years I have owned it I have changed; wheels, gears, 'bars etc and had great fun in the process. The beauty of the Swift is that it is built with normal 'off the shelf' parts so can be customised very easily. It rides pretty much like a "normal" bike with the advantage of the fold. As has been mentioned, it is not he smallest fold but enough to be useful in my world.

Xootr offered a 'Lifetime' warranty on the frame so I'm doubtful that will still be in place.

I can't think of another folder I would buy if the Swift meets a sticky end. Bike Fridays look good but are pricey and not readily available in the UK. Importing one from the USA would make the price eye watering! The Birdy looks interesting but again very rare in the UK. That leaves the Brompton - great fold but not the best choice for long hilly rides and many of the parts are bespoke. They are not cheap either. Which basically leaves the Dahon/Tern models.

Dahon seem to bring out a new model every month and Tern had the issue of frames snapping in half. I really liked the look of a couple of the Tern sports models - check out Peter of NYCe Wheels videos on YouTube - but when reports of frame failures began to surface I lost enthusiasm! I'll just have to look after my Swift and hope that it outlasts me!

Last edited by Paul Braithwait; 11-23-16 at 05:39 PM.