View Single Post
Old 12-06-16, 11:17 AM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knucks
Nice!

Yes, I plan on dimpling my 45mm fenders on my Audax. It'll fit man!!!

Good call on the Paul mounts - dont know if you even considered it, but are those the M or the regular, will 650b also be possible on this bike?
They're the regular Racers, not the "M".

Originally Posted by gomango
Looks nice.

Did the builder say they would fit?
Donald@BJ said they "should" fit but it wasn't a resounding confident tone.

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Wow, that does look awesome. After all the worrying it came out great.

I would have though that the hammered fenders are too much, but they are kind of overwhelmed by the flamboyant paint job, and it somehow all works. I tried setting a VO hammered fender set in my Mercian for a visual test, and it looked just wrong.

Are you sure those 28c tires are really 28? My conti 700x25 tires measure 28.0mm on A23 rims. It looks to me like you have room to squeeze 42mm fenders in there, but it's hard to see from the pics. As pointed out, dimpling the sides may be necessary if metal fenders are used. FWIW, SKS have about 1mm more clearance on each side than VO, because of lack of rolled edge.
I haven't measured but I'm just gonna roll with it and stick to the current tires. It fits, and I won't swap out to try the 32s anytime soon.

Originally Posted by tarwheel
Is your BJ an Audax or World Tour model? I have owned a BJ World Tour for 6-7 years, and have used it extensively for commuting, touring and overall riding. Although the tire clearance isn't as much as some touring bikes, it has plenty of room for 45 mm fenders (mine are Planet Bike Cascadias). The 45 mm fenders are the perfect width for 28-35 mm tires. Currently I'm running Vittoria Voyager Hyper 32s on mine.
It's an Audax End-End with some mods (Paul studs which changes the rest of the frames's measurements slightly without affecting the main angles, & oval chainstays).

Originally Posted by Velognome
Nice build. Don't fret about the tire size. I spent several years switching between 28's & 32's. Finally settled on the 28's, in retrospect, the 32's seemed to be just too much unless I was on really poor pavement.
Yep, taking your advice and sticking with the 28mm 4Seasons. Love these tires in 25, so I'm assuming I love them in 28s too.