View Single Post
Old 01-03-17, 09:25 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I advocate a minimum of two bikes. Just to avoid maintenance related downtime. I have a gravel bike now and am very satisfied with it. If my bike handling doesn't improve, I'll likely get a dedicated MTB as well.

Originally Posted by MRT2
That said, many of us have made mistakes, and some of those mistakes might be hanging in our garages and basements as we speak. So the question is, what do we do with those mistakes, and would we be happier divesting ourselves of these mistakes?
Yeah I've got a bike that needs a new chainring, bottom bracket, cassette, chain and new wheels(worn brake track). Probably new hubs, too. Wheels need truing anyway. Uncomfortable saddle.

I can't in good conscience sell it, given the mechanical condition-even if it's slightly too small for me. So it's just hanging on a fencepost hook(yes, it's covered. I'm not a monster). For the cost to get it running well, I'm pretty close to the cost of a new, comparable bike. I was wondering what to do, but then Raleigh's corporate deal came out and I just bought a new gravel bike instead. N+1 it is.

Next up: new wheelset for the gravel bike.

Originally Posted by Andy_K
I've read people saying that you should wash your bike and clean the drivetrain after every rainy ride. Do you know how burdensome that would be in the PNW? I want a bike that I can take out and ride in any conditions and then just hang it on a hook when I get home and take it out for more of the same the next day. This takes a major toll on the drivetrain, but it makes my life a lot easier. My rain bike only gets maintenance when something is obviously wrong.
I think that for some people, they have two hobbies: Riding bikes, and maintaining them. I'm very happy for those people. I'm not one of them.

I don't think those people have bikes as utility, either. When I lived downtown in a major city with no car? I might ride to 3 places a day. I'm, uh, not cleaning my bike that much. No way in hell.

I'm also in the PNW these days and it gets 120+ inches of rain a year where I'm at. Half of my rides have gravel or dirt sections. Washing my bike is a bit of an ordeal-and I'm not playing with soap and water when it's 30 degrees outside. If I had a workstand, I would wash the bike more often. But it's just too much of a damn pain otherwise. I'll clean the chain and wipe the downtube and rear triangle down once a week if I'm being conscientious. When shifting quality falls otherwise.

Originally Posted by caloso
It gets really bad when you keep a bike at work just for errands and such.
Your workplace allows that?! I'm jealous. Granted, I literally live across the street from work these days. Convenient, but I miss the commuting miles.