View Single Post
Old 01-21-17, 03:45 PM
Loomite
Old Guy

Bikes: 2017/18 Ritchey Ascent, 2012 King of Mercia touring, '82 Mercian Olympic, '80 Mercian Olympic (!), 1978 Raleigh Professional, '71 Schwinn Racer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WolfRyder
Ok thanks, what about the prep work on it? Did you do some of that and hand it off to them to powdercoat it or did they help with it?

Now that on subject, what is the best way to prep a frameset for Powdercoating? so the job takes well.
A good powdercoater will do the surface prep.

All I did was disassemble the bike. I brought the bare frame and fork to them. They are not a specialty bike finisher but having said that, I found their work came out pretty well. I inserted old M5 bolts into the water bottle eyelets and also some old adjuster screws in the rear dropouts to protect the threads although it seems that they have some sort of plastic stuff for that. I didn't do anything for the dropout eyelets but they came out fine too.

They sandblast the bike of all old finish since the powdercoat should adhere to bare metal. As I mentioned above, there was some "overspray" on the BB threads that required some judicious scraping by me to get the BB back in.

Last edited by Loomite; 01-21-17 at 03:49 PM.