Old 02-18-17, 04:19 PM
bikerbobbbb

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Resurrecting my thread. I was going to make a new one, but found this old one.

http://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-me...hed-right.html

The saga continues. My 32-spoke rim with a 5mm too narrow hub, still on standard spokes, is done. I bought double butted spokes but never got around to adding them.

I rely on my bike for transportation. That's why I'll build two wheels. And that's why I didn't put the double butted spokes on yet... I'll always need my bike in the morning, noon, evening, and night most days. There's maybe 4-6 hours it can be done.

The original wheel with the bike would break spokes. The bike shop gave me this current 32-spoke wheel when I asked about upgrading it to something stronger. That was about five years ago. Eventually spokes broke again. I got a cheap nipple wrench and tried to tighten spokes. That wore out nipples and didn't help truing. I discovered this site. Someone noticed my 32-spoke hub is 5mm too narrow. But I threw out the original wheel since I didn't think I'd need it. Living space is an issue. My previous plan was to build a 36-spoke wheel with the correct hub. My bike was working so I just never got to it, but I will now.

I'll keep the 32-spoke hub just to keep it, but it's 5mm to narrow for my bike so I have no use for it. Spokes are worn, so I'm done with those. 32-spoke rim has a nipple/spoke cracking through it, so that's done. Nipples might still be reusable but that's about it. Hub and nipples to keep.

I want to build two 36-spoke wheels though. I want one as backup. I can pop wheel 1 off and work on it at my leisure while wheel 2 is on the bike. The bike remains usable that way. If these two 36-spoke wheels are identical I don't have to worry about the gears being slightly off between a 32-spoke/5mm too narrow hub wheel vs. a 36-spoke/correct hub.

So.... Parts.
36-spoke rim. Those are/were available. That's doable.
Cassette -- Yes, I can reuse the one on my current wheel I think. That's salvagable then. So I only need to buy another cassette, identical to what I've got now. Current cassette has less than a year of wear on it.

Hub? I'm not sure on this one. Need help. The original hub for my bike isn't sold anymore. I threw out the original wheel with the original hub. I've got my bike specs in another thread or this one. I want to get one that will match my current cassette though (I think). I don't want to have to adjust gears/shifting later if possible.

Spokes... I probably need the hub in hand for that. I'll need to run through a formula to figure out what size spokes I need. I want double butted. I saw the arguments on here standard vs. double (and triple). Double butted sounded good. Either way, I need spokes but I don't know the measurement.

And then I have to actually put the thing together.... I've got the truing stand, etc. so I think I've got the tools. It's the ability that's not there. These will be the first wheels I've built.

So how do I find the right hub? I know what was on my bike originally if that would help. It would be a 36-spoke hub to match the 36-spoke rim. And then it should match the cassette... which involves something about the hub being free wheel or not I think. And the width of the hub... Somehow someone on one of my original threads knew my 32-spoke hub I got sold was 5mm too narrow.

Looks like it's the hub next... And I can dig out details -- my bike, original spec wheel/hub, the cassette I bought last year.