Old 02-28-17, 12:17 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by dmspara
Hey, everyone. I want to buy a bike, but can't decide whether to buy from a department store (Target, Walmart, etc.) where the prices are more in line with what I can spend, or save up some more and go to a bike shop. I am not a cyclist; I just want something for leisurely riding/exercise and maybe to ride to work (an 1/8 of a mile from my house).

I'm also very confused about brand names; I've read that Schwinn and Huffy are no longer very good... Can anyone suggest something for me?
I think almost everyone on these forums will suggest you DONT buy from a department store. They are usually not great quality, and won't last you very long. They are also harder to repair and service, because they dont always use standardized components. Think of it as buying something disposable. Just like everything in life, you get what you pay for.

If you are interested in buying something good that will last you many years, I would save up and buy an entry level bike from a local bike shop, or even find a reputable local bike shop that sells good quality second hand bikes. That means the bike will be good quality and ready to ride, and you can go back to them if you need repairs etc.

Buying on Craigslist or Ebay is a good way to save some money, but if you have no experience or knowledge about bikes at all, this is tricky. You might be fooled into buying a crappy bike on Craiglist if you dont know what to look for. The bike might also need work and costly repairs, if you are not careful. If you post some craigslist links on here, people are usually helpful and will tell you if it is a good bike or not.