Old 05-09-17, 08:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6286 Post(s)
Liked 4,329 Times in 2,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Barabaika
I decided to check the weight of my "super heavy" mixte frame.
It's the Nishiki Olympic with Tange tubes.
The frame with the fork weighs 3.7kg - the 0.1kg headset = 3.6kg = 8lb.

A $10,000 carbon or aluminum frame with a fork weighs 1.5kg, a cheaper aluminum racing frame weighs 2.5kg.

I don't know the weight of a Terry frame - I think Terry Bicycles don't make bicycles anymore. Does Georgena Terry have any relation to Terry Bicycles? Why Steel Bicycles over Carbon? | Steel Bicycles by Georgena TerryGeorgena Terry
That's still a significant weight difference, especially when considering a bike for a smaller rider. Add in all steel parts and there is simply no way that a bike with an 8 lb frame and, as I said above, enough steel to build a French battleship can weigh 24 lb.

The Terry that I have suggested was made for Terry in Taiwan to their specifications.

Can you tell us how the bike was stolen?

Was it locked using a strong U-lock like this Kryptonite that weighs 4.55 lb?
New York Fahgettaboudit Mini

Or this cable lock that weighs 2.45lb?
KryptoFlex 1230 Key Cable

Or something that weighs 0.1lb?
She locked it up improperly but what does that matter. People will steal just about anything and even an old Peugeot mixte that weighs a whole lot more than the Terry would have to be locked with about the same system. That means that lock weight has to be considered as well and a 35 lb bike with a 4 lb lock is an even larger percentage of a small person's body weight.

Why does this steel Terry bicycle weigh 17.8lb when the aluminum Terry weighs 25lb?
Gale Force | Georgena Terry Touring Bicycle for WomenGeorgena Terry

The frame is similar in dimensions.
See below.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Georgena Terry stopped making bicycles the first time when Asian competitors flooded the market for a year or two with similar concept bicycles, and she turned that first business into the one that sells saddles and apparel. Then she sold that business not too long ago and refocused on bikes again. I don't know the story of the 2012 run of mass-manufacture bikes, but the current ones from that website are made to order at Waterford.

The bike you just linked is built up of premium tubing with racing parts and the earlier one is built up with midgrade components. There are weight savings to be had between Tiagra and Ultegra components, and between 20h/24h wheels vs 32h noname wheels, and seat post and saddle and etc. etc. Just the difference between the midgrade triple crank and the Ultegra double might be like half a pound. Like I said earlier, weight weenies
Absolutely.

We've made significant modification to my wife's bike to push that weight down even lower, as well as increase the comfort and efficiency of the bike. But even out of the box, the Terry is a great bike for a small person. The Gale Force is also a great bike but the cost is a bit steep...$3900...as compared to a bit over $300 for the Symmetry. Paying that little for a very good bike, leaves a lot of wiggle room to outfit the bike with lots of lightweight components which make it an even better bike for a small lightweight person.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!