Old 06-01-17, 05:09 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 124Spider
Reality.

As measured two ways. First, it is always way high against my Wahoo Kickr. So I compared it to other Wahoo Kickrs, and it's also very high compared to them. Also, when I look at my segment times on Strava against others with similar times, I'm always showing way higher average power then everyone else (and I'm not an outsized person).

I have no doubt it reads very, very high.
First of all, to be clear, I am not trying to tell you that you're wrong. I've never seen neither the device nor the numbers, so I have absolutely no way to know anything about it. Now, with that said: Smart trainers are widely known to be unreliable when it comes to power measurements. When discrepancies arise between a power meter and a smart trainer (and they always do,) the power meter is the one to trust. As for Strava, well, that is even worse. Many, many times are done within group rides. Also in different days obviously, with different conditions, which can affect times, or the power required to achieve the same time.

Again, not saying you're wrong. My point is that once you find a power meter that you are happy with, don't try to make the numbers match with everything, especially not with much less reliable methods, it just doesn't happen. Even among real, high quality power meters there are discrepancies some times. That is the main advantage, imo, of getting something higher end as opposed to, say, a Stages (or relying on the numbers from a smart trainer that when you get another (higher end) power meter, you have a much higher chance of getting both devices to agree to a reasonable extent.