Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
i'm really short, like 5'2", but have always run 170mm cranks because that's just what came on my bike. but i'm starting to think I'd be better suited to 165s. i'm going to try borrow a crank for the fall and seeing if i like it.

related - if i make the jump i'll need a new pwoermeter. don't really have funds for a quarq. does anyone have experience with the pioneer single leg meter?
I did some reading on shorter cranks, and it seems like the range of 165-175 is silly small for the range of people. Shorter than 165 is pretty boutique and you won't get a PM for it however. Heck, even 165 cranks fetch high prices.

That being said, I also read that moving your cleats around would make more of a difference than a change in crank length (so I moved the cleats back and kept the 172.5s).

We have 2 Pioneer 6800 left side meters and can't complain. No crazy spikes in power (definitely get a cadence spike almost every ride) and it seems reliable. If you display instantaneous power you can tell it just updates every left stroke and if you were used to a dual sided before you might be miffed if you were staring at it during some really hard intervals. Obviously an edge case.