View Single Post
Old 08-24-17, 03:04 PM
maxants33

Bikes: Caliber Astronut, On One Scandal 29er, Trek Procaliber 9, Vitus Energie CRX, Kinesis Athiene, Specialized Singlecross, Pashley Roadking, Bridgstone w/ Xtracycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by magnusr
Looks great @maxants33! I'll post my bike here as well when it is done. I'm hesitating to use a drum or disc on the rear for the reason you mention, but perhaps I will just go for it and do some tinkering as well .
I think going for a bub brake is a good idea - rims just tend to cope less well with heavy loads in my experience. But more importantly - with loaded bikes you wear out the rims faster and that = a weaker wheel eventually.

I was astonished after a 600 mile tour carring loads of weight - just how much of my rear wheel rim surface had gone (had rear calipers) - new rims, so was easy to judge. That said, I cycled on many occasions through wet sandy soiled areas, so its no surprise.

Other thing about the Xtracycle; is made for disks - which do offer great stopping power on a heavy bike. But, given the way the bags fit to the xtracycle, I would be concerned about anything hard knocking the rotors, potentially bending them - not something you want when touring. So thats a +1 for the drums! BUT (again); It was SUCH a fiddle getting the drums to hook up to the Xtracycle free radical - I imagine the LEAP will be even tougher, unless you take it to a welder and get an attachment fitted - This would be really neat and probs the best bet - OR - get a guard fitted to protect the disk rotor.

I would interested to know how others have found the potential problem of luggage hitting the disk rotors on Xtracycle extensions.

Good luck with the build - and please do post pics when it gets moving! good luck!