View Single Post
Old 09-18-17, 02:14 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I'm glad to see this current thread. I ordered a Lynskey R250 Disc on Aug. 7. They had to build it. Size L, with Ultegra Di2 drivetrain and hydraulic disc brakes and the thru-axle option (with the Stans Team Grail wheelset).

On the phone when I ordered it a guy had told me that it would fit something like 32mm wide tires, but the site says 28mm. I bought a set of Cont. Grand Prix 4000 IIS tires in 28mm size that I just mounted to my current bike (2003 Trek 2300), and they measure out at 30.5mm front (Pacenti SL23 rim) and 31mm even on the back (Velocity A23 OC rim). Those rims are about the same dimensions as the Stans Team Grail rims, so I'm expecting 30-31mm final size. I'm hoping these tires fit, because I'm a heavier rider and would really like to be using these GP4Ks at 28mm nominal size. They are noticeably more comfortable than the combo I've been using for a while now (28mm Gatorskin on the back (actually is 28mm inflated), and 25mm GP4K on the front (measures 28mm inflated).

One thing doesn't make sense to me, though. Looking through their parts page, it shows all their available fork options. The only Lynskey Pro Carbon fork they list that has both thru axle and disc brakes is their Gravel model. Is that what I'll be getting? That would be nice in a way because it would support a much wider tire if I wanted to use one, but where I'd really actually want a wider tire is on the rear. I'll have to call them up and ask them.

Btw, when I emailed asking for a status and a clarification on a part going on my order the guy (Alex Brown) estimated that it would ship in 1.5 to 2 weeks. That was one week ago, so with any luck it'll ship sometime this week.

They did something which I'm quite happy about. In my special requests I asked for the wheels to be 32h front and 36h rear (as I said, I'm a heavier rider) if possible. They couldn't do the 36h rear because the hubs Stans uses don't have a 36h drilling. Normally the wheelset comes 28f/32r, but they asked Stans to lace up my front wheels with 32 spokes instead, so I'll be getting 32/32. As I read somewhere (maybe Sheldon Brown?) that if your front and rear wheels have the same number of spokes, then either the front is overbuilt or the rear is underbuilt. I think in my case it's the rear being underbuilt, but if I have any issues with that I'll just build a custom 36h wheel and be done with it.

Anyhow, looking forward to joining the Lynskey club. I'll post some pics when I get it. I guarantee it'll be assembled and ridden the day it arrives. I live in Arizona, and our primary riding season is just beginning.