Old 11-29-17, 04:44 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Harlan
I have asthma as well and have somewhat grown out of it except for dust/mold (usually happens when we close up the house for the fall and open it up for the spring). I was told many years ago that black coffee was a great go-to in an emergency (and it is, opens me right up) but now I drink it most days and haven't had to touch my inhaler except for a few middle of the night episodes (probably something to do with a dog in my face, dust, etc). Not sure if you're a coffee drinker but I tell all the asthma sufferers I come in contact with.
9 out of 12 months asthma is a very minor issue for me (those months occurring the same time yours does, though our fall starts late). I drink a fair bit of coffee. Not sure if it helps, but I'll try to see if it changes things.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
FF, I swap back and forth between Symbicort and Advair as my daily inhaler. I'm back on Symbicort because they are offering some deal where it is free for a year to use it. I don't really notice any difference between the two. I also have a rescue inhaler - Xopenex - that I sometimes use/during rides and races. It helps as well.

At this time of year, my biggest challenge is how dry the air is. If I'm on the trainer, I will often try to put a humidifier in the garage to make things a little better, but it's not a perfect solution.

Also, I've recently learned I have a massively deviated septum, to the point that it nearly touches one sidewall of my nose. I am looking at getting the surgery to repair it, which from what I've read, will greatly improve my sinus issues.
Advair was the one I had a bad reaction to; my asthma went from an 8 to a 1, whereas my old medication (QVar) only drops it to a 4. I may try Symbicort or Dulera. I've tried both a humidifier and dehumidifier and neither seemed signifigant; although that was over 10 years ago. The biggest thing for me was removing fabric (carpet, matress covers, leather furniture, etc).