View Single Post
Old 01-11-18, 12:29 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by treebound
Did you order direct from Cycliq? I see some Fly6 HD ifferings on amazon but I’m not sure if those are another name for Fly6CE or if those are the slightly older version.

I’ll have to look into the review function because I can see like you where that might be a nice roadside option via a smartphone for a number of reasons.
Yes, ordered directly from Cycliq the week that they initially went on sale. I just received the DHL shipping notification today, and it is shipping direct from China. Given this, I'd be surprised if any retailers that aren't partnered directly with Cycliq for the initial release actually have any, and I'll bet that what you're seeing on Amazon are either Fly6 or Fly6v's.

If they're red, they're the old one, and while technically they are HD, they are only 720P, not 1080 like the CE is. The CE is in an all black case now, it's a little slimmer, and it has a 1/4 turn mount similar to Garmin's instead of being directly mounted via rubber bands (Fly6) or Velcro (Fly6v).

The review function on the original 12 definitely needed work, and wasn't present at all on the 6. The old 12 has built in WiFi that you had to connect to from your phone and transfer was slow. It was definitely more of an "if you need it" feature as it was easier and quicker to remove the card and put it in a computer or phone. Actually, it was probably easier to remove the whole camera and plug it in to a computer, and that required a hex key. With the new 12 CE, getting to the charging port (USB-C) is easier, getting to the memory card is easier, and taking the camera completely off the bike is easier. So far I'm completely happy with it despite not having the ability to review footage without a computer (or phone that can take MicroSD cards [sadly not Apple]).

I fully expect that I'm going to be just as satisfied with the new 6 CE when it comes in.

DC Rainmaker did a full hands-on review of both with some pre-production units... might be worth a read. Can find it here.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/...irst-look.html