View Single Post
Old 02-03-18, 01:02 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
My exposure to the Cycliq has been limited to the one that belongs to a friend. He had trouble with his and opened it up to try to fix it. He ended up breaking a wire and came to me to have it resoldered.

It was interesting to get a look inside of it! There's a lot of stuff going on inside of it. Plenty of very tiny parts, a few BGA packages (which can have soldering issues), and a somewhat big camera module on the board (which might contribute to board flex and subsequent solder joint failures).

One lesson was that the battery looked like a conventional size (an 18650 lithium, I think).
note to Orlando : Shouldn't be that hard to replace, assuming some soldering skills.
Although... the fact that there are three wires coming from the battery might mean that there is some protection circuitry as part of the battery. If the light is already considered to be dead, then there's not much to be lost by trying to replace the battery.
by the way, you'll note that there is some red plastic around some of the screws. This was the result of damage when my friend opened the light. I don't recall if there was a less destructive way of getting it open.

Steve in Peoria
I just went and looked at my original Fly6, and you can get to the screws on the back. I didn't look to see if they were specialty screws, or torx, or something like that, but you can get to them. So there is a less destructive way. I also held up one of the 18650 batteries I use for my flashlight/headlight, and I'm assuming that's what's inside. You can buy them with the protection circuit built in, I have Tenergy ones from Fry's with them, so should be replaceable if need be and out of warranty.

Thanks for posting the photos, it was interesting to get a look inside.