Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
is that a lot?

---------------------

I've been seeing that my power is lower than what I think it should be. In the race this weekend, I did plenty of work, but yet my power (both average and normalized) was lower than a couple of other guys who finished behind me, and/or didn't do as much work near the front. They're guys with similar builds to me. Maybe I'm more aero or something, but I doubt it'll make a 20-30W difference, probably more, considering I put myself out in the wind a lot. Could my power meter be miscalibrated?
I get a bit of that. My NP in a crit has never even come near my FTP, even when I feel like I've been doing a ton of work in the race and finish gassed. For example, VoS crit, I felt like I was in the wind a ton and working really hard in general trying to keep things glued together. Pulled for an entire lap at one point to bring a move back. Strava has me at 237w NP, with a 27.6 mph average. I was gassed at the end, and sore for a while after. @Ttoc6's Strava shows 258w for the same crit and I believe he's a little bit lighter than I am. I'll have teammates showing 300+ for crits while I'll still be in the 220-240 range. Not sure how to explain that, but I'm wondering if maybe I'm just not going 'all out' enough and instead trying to smooth things out too much. I definitely stay well away from the 'I'm about to get dropped' zone, but maybe I need to reach a bit further into the bag and be more aggressive.