View Single Post
Old 04-16-18, 02:43 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mars_
Thank you guys a bunch! It has a 1mm pitch and (if I did it right) it’s RH, so it’s a French thread yeah? I’ll check the info on the BB I wanna get too. I was tracing the threading tho and it does seem a bit janked... some of the threads are like crooked or smth?
All BBs have RH thread on the left (non-drive) side of the bike. French is RH on both sides, Swiss is LH on the right (drive) side of the bike.

If someone jammed a British thread BB into a French thread shell, that will jank the threads even more than in a Swiss thread shell. But a French thread cup will probably still thread in. Lube it well. Make sure it stays straight. (If it's a LH thread shell, a RH thread cup will never be able to get straight.) When you encounter resistance, push into it about ⅛ of a turn, then back it off, repeat until it's as smooth as it can get.

Also, i don't think i know the difference between a fixed cup and adjustable cup?
Fixed cup is on the drive side, adjustable cup on the non-drive side. Of course this only applies to adjustable BBs. BB cartridges just have cups.

Ya! There’s a lot more than I thought that goes into building up a bike ^^” But im learning a ton n it’s fun!
Yes, that is very true. I'm glad your enthusiasm is greater than your frustration!